Welcome to Dark Tourist Trips!
About Dark Tourist Trips
The aim of this page is to promote dark tourist attractions, events, sites, other curious topics and to show tourists the darker side of tourism. I want to remove some of the negative connections with Dark Tourism, focus on the educational side and make Dark Tourism accessible for all.
The site also features…
- Nuclear Tourism
- Grief Tourism
- Tombstone Tourism
- The Paranormal
- Ghost Tourism
- Disaster Tourism
- Adventure Tourism
- Urban Exploration
What is Dark Tourism?
“Dark Tourism (also black tourism or grief tourism) has been defined as tourism involving travel to places historically associated with death and tragedy… The main attraction to dark locations is often their historical value rather than their associations with death and suffering”
”Dark Tourism is the most educational form of travelling possible”
Dark Tourism also known as black tourism or grief tourism is tourism that is associated with death or tragedy. Some popular dark tourism sites are:
- Concentration Camps (Auschwitz, Dachau)
- Sites of Nuclear Disasters (Chernobyl, Fukushima)
- Memorial Sites (Ground zero NYC, Hiroshima Peace Memorial)
- Cemeteries and Crypts
- Dungeons and Prisons
- Historical Battlefields
- Historical and Heritage sites
- Museums and Education centres
Recently this area of tourism has sparked the interest of the media and general public and the motivations of people who visit these sites varies greatly.
Why is Dark Tourism important?
- Learn about the past and try not to make it our future. This is more important than ever in our particularly divisive political climate
- A way to understand a culture/time in history and observe it with with respect and an open-minded curiosity
- Remind you of the important aspects of life, an opportunity to open up difficult conversations and to pay respect
- Takes you out of your comfort zone and at the same time providing education
Sian, Urban Exploration- Abandoned Bangour Village Hospital
This website allows you to request a Dark Tourist Day Trip itinerary for a future trip or to get some ideas.
Please take a look around and let me know of your own Dark Tourist Trips so I can feature them on the page, you can send photos via the email address below, Also you can follow us on Facebook!
Our Email address is email@example.com